21 Dec 26 Tattoo Fun Facts
Posted at 12:22h
26 Tattoo Fun Facts
- In the US, more women than men have tattoos.
- However, women are more likely to get their tattoos removed.
- A public defender named Travis Williams tattoos the name of every defendant whose case he loses in court on his back.
- The longest tattoo session was 50 hours and 10 minutes. Ouch.
- Johnny Depp has a matching tattoo with Damien Echols, an innocent man who spent 18 years on death row.
- While getting a tattoo, your skin is pierced between 50 to 3,000 times a minute.
- The majority of tattoo ink is made from metal salts instead of dye.
- Until the 1970s, “nice girls” had to have marriage licenses and bring their husbands to get a tattoo.
- The two most tattooed objects are angels and hearts.
- There’s a US charity called Clean Slate Org that offers discounted tattoo removal for former gang members.
- Americans spend around $1.65 billion on tattoos every year.
- US sailors used to get tattoos as a means to prove their citizenship, so they wouldn’t be forced to join the Royal Navy.
- Mike Tyson’s tattoo artist sued Warner Bros. after Hangover 2 used his trademarked face tattoo.
- The most tattoos given in a 24-hour period came out to be a whopping 577, by artist Robbie Koch.
- The FDA doesn’t approve of or regulate tattoo ink.
- Russian prisoners used to get tattoos of Lenin and Stalin because guards weren’t allowed to shoot pictures of their national leaders.
- About 40% of US adults between aged 26-40 have a tattoo. President Theodore Roosevelt had a tattoo of his family crest on his chest.
- Black tattoos are the easiest color to remove.
- The Macy’s logo is a red star because its founder R.H. Macy got a red star tattoo while working on a whaling ship as a teenager.
- The oldest mummy ever discovered with tattoos had over 50, which he made by puncturing his skin and rubbing in charcoal.
- The majority of tattooed Egyptian mummies were female.
- Stephen Baldwin has a tattoo on his shoulder that reads “HM” for Hannah Montana. The ink was the result of a pact that he would be allowed to cameo on the show, which he never did.
- Sean Penn gave David Spade a Calvin and Hobbes tattoo on his left arm.
- When social security cards came out in 1936, some people actually got their numbers tattooed on their arms.
- There’s a brothel in Germany that offers a lifetime of free service if clients get a tattoo of their logo.
- Tribal tattoos are the most popular design requests.