When it comes to getting ink dedicated to that special someone, most tattoo experts will tell you that it’s not the best idea. Feelings are fleeting, but body ink is forever. Not to mention, when it’s all said and done and the relationship has ended, it’s hard to re-enter the dating world with a written reminder of your failed romance. If you find yourself in a sticky situation and are sick of carrying around the remnants of relationships past, there are always ways to slap a figurative Band-Aid on your least favorite piece of ink. Here are a few ideas.
1. Keep the name as is, but place a gravestone around it to pay respect to the death of your relationship.
2. Cover it with the Netflix logo, so everyone knows who your heart belongs to these days.
3. Replace the name with a diamond, paving over your ex’s legacy with something that’s actually going to last.
4. Or just go all out with a diamond ring, because why wait around for someone to buy you a rock when you can get one for yourself?
5. Brand yourself with a smiley face, as a reminder not to cry because it’s over, but smile because you never have to sit through lunch with their parents again.
6. Buy a dog and give it the same name, because you can rest assured that a golden retriever will never cheat on you.
7. Place a stamp-like “VOID” over the ink, so prospectives know you’re open to a new transaction.
8. Cover it with a depiction of the car of your choice, as long as it’s sporting a flat tire, to symbolize the time you wasted in a relationship that was going nowhere.
9. Or just get a picture of a train accident, since the relationship was essentially one big train wreck.
10. “A few ragrets,” because honesty is the best policy.
11. Get your mom’s name instead, to thank her for being right about the relationship all along.
12. Replace the name with the poop emoji, as a constant reminder that shit happens.
13. Discover a musician with the same name and become a diehard fan, so others think you’re just passionate about good music.
14. Cover the entire area with nothing but a black cube, to represent the depths of your cold, dead heart.